Visting Amish Country in Pennsylvania
A few posts back, I shared a memory of my family’s trip to Pennsylvania over three decades ago. During that trip, we made a stop at Gettysburg and spent a day exploring Amish Country in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
I was captivated by the food and the conversations with the people there. I felt a profound connection to them and their way of life. The shoo-fly pie, cinnamon rolls, and strudel were delicious, but it was more than just the food. Watching the farmers in their fields, the buggies passing by, and listening to them speak German stirred something deep within me. It felt like home.
Last year, I discovered the reason behind this feeling. I learned that my biological family was Amish, Mennonite, and Brethren, and they hailed from Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Walking those roads, savoring those cherished recipes, and observing the gentle pace of their lives felt incredibly like home—because in a way, it was.
Years ago, I couldn’t comprehend why it felt so familiar. Now, I understand, and I am filled with gratitude.
Have you ever visited a place that felt strangely familiar? Have you ever uncovered a family story or heritage that suddenly makes certain aspects of your life resonate deeply?
I’m currently researching my Amish, Mennonite, and Brethren family history, and I’m working on a family history book. I’ll keep you posted with more details.
Comments
Post a Comment