The Dead-tective Newletter #1
Recently, I researched the journey of a Civil War prisoner of war who was captured at Gettysburg, but I couldn’t locate his burial site. He was a member of my husband's family and I wanted to write a complete story for my book.
The records provided me with the locations he visited while in captivity.
I carefully researched those prison camp names and began piecing together the story.
Although his name wasn’t explicitly mentioned, the articles mentioned other men who were held captive alongside him and their respective burial places.
After hours of reading numerous stories of soldiers, escapes from the prison camp and where some of the bodies of the fallen soldiers were taken.
I was able to locate a few youtube videos of the camps and was captivated by the stories but sickened by the conditions that they lived and died in.
I visited the Find A Grave locations listed in the articles and discovered my husband’s ancestor’s name on a mass grave memorial. I had my answers but they were sad.
Sometimes, it’s essential to venture beyond Ancestry and FamilySearch, read historical articles, and watch videos to gain insights into the times and places where our ancestors lived.
Comments
Post a Comment